- Preserving St Cloud Newsletter
- Historic Properties Seminar
- Historic Downtown History Hunt
- Century Homes Program
Historic Properties Seminar
Since 2002, the St. Cloud HPC has partnered with the St. Cloud Area Association of Realtors to present seminars on architectural history, local historic districts and community livability. The annual seminar features walking/bus tours. To date, over 350 realtors and appraisers have attended this training opportunity.
Historic Downtown History Hunt
In partnership with the St. Cloud Downtown Council, the HPC hosts the 'History Hunt' to promote local history while educating all ages on the importance of preserving historic landmarks. Participants join Humphrey the History Hound on a self-guided tour uncovering hidden architecture and hearing stories of past heroes and everyday people who lived, worked and played in St. Cloud many years ago.
Century Homes Recognition Program
The annual Century Homes Recognition Program was established in 1998 to recognize homeowners that have maintained their 100+ year old homes' original architectural character. To date, the HPC has accepted 75 homes as Century Homes. Applications are generally available in early summer (June/July) of each year.
Beginning in 2008, the HPC annually recognizes projects individuals and organizations that enhance and celebrate St. Cloud's historic resources.
- 2015 Recipients
- 2014 Recipients
- 2013 Recipients
- 2012 Recipients
- 2011 Recipients
- 2010 Recipients
- 2008 Recipients
The Friedrich Family - George Friedrich Park
The site of one of the original granite quarries in St. Cloud, George Friedrich Park operated as a recreational gathering space, natural escape and an outdoor classroom from the 1930’s until its closure in the 1970’s. Renowned Biology Professor George Friedrich extensively used the park as a teaching tool for his students, planting trees and educating students about nature and conservation practices during his tenure from 1921 to 1950. At his recommendation, St. Cloud State University purchased the property and made it a park. Professor Friedrich also served on the City’s Park Board and was appointed to the Minnesota State Board of Conservation in the 1930’s. The park is set to reopen to visitors due to a land swap arrangement between the City of St. Cloud and St. Cloud State University.
Dr. Louis & Barbara Foote - Majerus House at 404 9th Avenue South
One of the oldest homes in the Southside University Neighborhood, the Majerus House was built in 1891 for Michael Majerus as a second home, at a cost of under $5,000. The French Empire Style home was designed by architect Theodore Kevenhoerster and is constructed of red pressed brick and smooth grey granite sills and has a rectangular plan with a Mansard roof. The southwest corner of the home features a five-story tower and the two-level carriage house is currently used a garage. The exterior of the home has been virtually unaltered since its construction in 1891. The original character of the home has been successfully preserved and restored by Dr. Louis & Barbara Foote, who are only the fifth owners of the house in the home’s 124-year existence.
'Neighbor Proud' Program Northside‐Hester Park Neighborhood Association and Steve Lanz
In the summer of 2013, the Northside‐Hester Park neighborhood began to acknowledge those neighbors who have spent time, energy, effort and money improving their homes and yards to make the neighborhood an inviting and attractive place. Conceived and organized by Steve Lanz, the “Neighborhood Proud” program has instilled a sense of community and neighborhood pride while aiding in protecting, preserving and restoring some of St. Cloud’s oldest homes.
Dr. R. Lawrence Thienes - Clarke House at 356 3rd Avenue South
The oldest house in the Ramsey Place neighborhood, the Clarke House was built in 1893 for Nehemiah Parker Clark and his family at a cost of $30,000. The Queen Anne Style home is constructed of red pressed brick and red granite and has an asymmetrical plan with a Gothic pitched roof. The southwest corner of the home has an octagonal tower and a candle‐snuffer dome with a three‐sided bay window on the northwest corner. A wrapped around portico leads to an attached carriage house. The original character of the home has been successfully preserved and restored by Dr. Thienes.
Metro Bus Transit Center - 510 1st Street South
Built in 1992, but looking much older, the Metro Bus Transit Center is a focal point in downtown St. Cloud which serves the present needs of public transportation while paying homage to transportation past both physically and architecturally. Built on the site of a former stable, the Transit Center blends with the historic 5th Avenue corridor through its design, which is similar in style to a Victorian‐era train station common throughout Europe.
St. Cloud Masonic Association - Kerr Block Restoration at 518 St. Germain Street West
Colonel Charles Kerr hired architect Cass Gilbert to design the Kerr Block as a red pressed brick building trimmed with pink rough faced granite. The building was built circa 1893. The earliest tenant in the building was R.C. Junk Dry Good Store. The Masonic Temple Association purchased the building in 1912 and rented the first floor to G.R. “Bob” Herberger, in 1927, for his department store, which became a nation‐wide retail chain. For over 80 years, the Masons have owned the building, and the storefront is still occupied by Herberger’s. Although the building was the work of one of America’s great architectural firms, in the 1960s, it was deemed to be too old‐fashioned, so the front was covered with sheet metal to make it appear “modern.” Fortunately, the Masonic Lodge removed the metal façade so that we can once again enjoy one of Minnesota’s finest nineteenth century commercial buildings.
John Lund and the 'St. Cloud Remembered' Facebook Page
Historic St. Cloud’s landmarks, parks, and businesses on Facebook! St. Cloud’s story is being told in social media thanks toJohn Lund, a local lawyer that created and manages the ‘St. Cloud Remembered’ Facebook page. Everyone is encouraged to post and participate. And with over 5,000 ‘Likes’, Central Minnesota history is filling newsfeeds, prompting ‘Likes’ and even igniting hundreds and hundreds of ‘Shares’. It is worth checking out...soon you’ll be lost in the stories, exploring old photos while appreciating St. Cloud history and John Lund for igniting a local history movement on social media!
St. Cloud Historical Neighborhood & Preservation Association, Mary Mathews and Alex Ames
'Main Street to Eighth Street: A Lewis Family Celebration'The 'Main Street to Eighth Street' was a successful threeday celebration of the many connections and contributions the family of the novelist Sinclair Lewis and his brother, prominent South Side resident Dr. Claude Lewis, made with St. Cloud. The celebration was held in June, 2012 with various events including readings, film festival, educational lectures, historical exhibits, garden party, and a St. Cloud Municipal Band concert.
The Barth Family
The Barths, Mark and Dan and more recently Nick and Andy- exude energetic enthusiasm for Downtown and their two historic buildings. Back in 1997, Mark and Dan purchased the Pioneer Place on Fifth building with an intention to turn it into a sound stage for their video production company. However, these brothers decided to not only leave it intact but open it back to the public as a venue for professional theatre, musicians and other traveling shows. Now more fifteen years later, Mark and Dan have sustained the buildings historical significance aligning care and restorations with its historical integrity all the while solidifying a fresh identity for the building as a premier place for arts and culture in Central Minnesota.
Continuing in their commitment to preserve historic assets, in 2012 the Barths purchased the building next door- D.B. Searles. Built in 1886 by Dolson Bush Searle, it is a majestic three-story building made of pressed red brick. The Barths are maintaining the first floors rich history of the D.B. Searle’s bar while the third and fourth floors are Nick’s Third Floor Restaurant.
Dr. William Morgan
Dr. Morgan has great passion, personally and professionally, in sharing and preserving Central Minnesota history. As an accomplished writer, he has published a number of articles in journals, an on-going column in the St. Cloud Times and a one-of-a-kind Central Minnesota book entitled “Earth, Wood, Stone: Central Minnesota Lives and Landmarks.” As a professor at St. Cloud State University for over thirty years, he excited generations of students to knowledge and appreciation of local architecture and history; even directly inspiring several students into preservation-related career paths. His active and long-standing commitments to the St. Cloud Heritage Preservation Commission as well as Preservation Alliance of Minnesota highlights his personal dedication to safeguarding Central Minnesota’s long and rich history.
As the Assistant Director of Archives at the Stearns County History Museum since 1977, John is the go-to-guy on the region’s historic and cultural resources. As the developer and coordinator of Stearns County archives, John sees more than just records, but also their significance to our region and the stories of our ancestors. His knowledge and ability to share stories in a meaningful context has benefited the communities and residents of Stearns County. John is known to go above and beyond for visitors of the Museum interested in researching genealogical and family histories. His passion is contagious as proven by the well-attended annual bus tours across Stearns County which John began in 1994. Much like the archives he manages, John is a rich resource for our region providing factual knowledge and stories of our past that would not otherwise be uncovered.
100 & 200 Block West Redevelopment Projects
St. Cloud’s Historic Downtown is involved in a renaissance and connecting Downtown with St. Cloud State University and the Southside Historic Neighborhood is a major part of its future. With the momentum of 5th Avenue Live!, a mixed use university village development, the 100 & 200 Block West projects further this connection while redeveloping these historic blocks . The 200 Block West redeveloped a vacant building from the 1950’s to a Chipolte, Verizon and Noodles & Company. The historic 100 Block West has hosted a multitude of uses dating back to the 1890’s, most notably Benson Brothers Grocery Store. Today, Brothers Bar and Grill modernized food service in these nineteenth century buildings, yet retained historic architectural exterior and interior details including restoration of a 120 year old exterior wall sign and the original hardwood floors. The timing was right for the redevelopment of these historic blocks connecting the traditional entertainment core with the expanded River’s Edge Convention Center, Division Street, Southside Historic Neighborhood and the University.
Rehabilitation of a Queen Ann Style Home at 1015 6th Ave N
Built circa 1917 in a Queen Anne style, this home is one of the oldest houses in the Hester Park neighborhood. The recent rehabilitation retains classical details of the style such as an open porch as well as creates a new two-story addition that appears to seamlessly blend with the historic home while providing a more modern living space. The unusual fieldstone structure located in the side yard, thought to be once a picnic fireplace or smokehouse, is maintained and reflective of the 1920’s lifestyle. The rehabilitation accurately reflects the original architectural detail of the home and demonstrates the effort and commitment of the property owner, Vance Ressler, to the preservation of St. Cloud’s history and heritage.
Rotary Club of St. Cloud - Eastman Regional Park (Lake George) Community Project
The Eastman Regional Park (Lake George) Community Project repositioned the historic 25-acre park as a community jewel after a 4-year revitalization project spearheaded by the Rotary Club of St. Cloud.
The Summertime by George! event highlights the newly renovated Park bringing thousands of residents together every week. The revitalization project and event coincide with the St. Cloud Heritage Preservation Community Education and Marketing Plan by raising awareness of historic preservation, and its significant community benefit to the residents of St. Cloud.
Kirk Smith - 230 6th Ave N Restoration
Restoration of the home included handmade shingles, windows and railings. The interior of the home was painted in historic colors. Kirk studied original pictures of the home from 1889 to restore the granite retaining wall, front porch and stairway.
Jim and Beth Bell - 205 Ramsey Place South Rehabilitation
Rehabilitation of the home included starting completely from scratch and redoing it in period style. The windows have been restored to original configuration, and a salvaged leaded glass window was restored from a plastered opening in the dining room. An old shed was replaced with a new garage that matched the house, and beautiful landscaping has transformed the yard.
Matt Riley - Lionel Spaniol Memorial Lobby in the Federal Building at 720 St. Germain Street W
Built in the late 1930's, the art-deco style building originally served as the St. Cloud Post Office. The federal government dramatically altered the building's interior when the Post Office moved to a new location in the mid-1960's. In 2005, the owners of Netgain Hosting purchased the decommissioned St. Cloud Federal Building to use as a datacenter and offices. In the course of refurbishing the office space for use, the building's rich history emerged, and the group elected to incorporate some key elements of the building's past in the renovation.
A replica of a Works Progress Administration mural, 'Construction - St. Cloud' by St. Cloud Technical High School graduate David Granahan, was placed into the spot where the original once hung. The lobby also features another WPA artwork - Brenda Putnam's original plaster relief titled 'The Northwest and the Southeast Divided by the Mississippi.'
Patrick R. Mastey - Rehabilitation of several Historic Homes in St. Cloud's Core Neighborhoods
Patrick owns several rental dwellings of which seven have been recognized as Century Homes. All properties have undergone major rehabilitation and restoration since acquired. Patrick has transformed properties in the Lake George Neighborhood
St. Cloud State University - Riverview Restoration
The oldest Minnesota State University structure, the Riverview classroom building, designed by Clarence H. Johnston, Sr., was originally constructed in 1913. St. Cloud State University's Riverview building was until 1958 the neighborhood elementary school for children on St. Cloud's south side. Riverview was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. The award-winning $6.2 million renovation has restored the original beauty, condition and character to this historic building.
Kathleen Fischer - 511 5th Street South Restoration
Restoration of the Leisen House included new vertical and shake wood siding, new paint scheme, new windows throughout the house, and ultimately, a new detached garage that accurately depicts many of the unique architectural details that are seen in the Dutch Colonial Revival style house. Kathleen referenced old photos of her house to help develop a design concept.
Dan Borgert, BK Foley Land and Development - Commercial District Revitalization
Dan's successful historic building rehabilitation efforts in the St. Cloud Commercial Historic District have spearheaded a revitalization movement in Downtown St. Cloud. BK Foley Land and Development has become a leader in the downtown revitalization movement by purchasing, restoring and rehabilitating 14 historic buildings in the district since 2005. A staggering $10 million has been invested into storefront and interior building improvements to historic buildings originally constructed between 1892 and 1929.
Dan has consistently used the City of St. Cloud Downtown Preservation Design Manual, which was completed by the City in 2003, along with historic photos of buildings to develop concept plans for his projects.
Juliana Elchert - Historic Barden Park Preservation
Juliana Elchert has been very instrumental in the preservation, renovation, development and implementation of improvements to Barden Park. She has volunteered countless hours fund-raising for the park and providing labor to help make improvements to restore Barden Park and the surrounding neighborhood.
St. Cloud Historic and Neighborhood Preservation Association - Preservation Ordinance
SCH&NPA was established in 1988 to fund historic restoration projects and monitor political activities t hat affect the quality of life in older city neighborhoods. SCH&NPA partnered with the City of St. Cloud in the late 1980s to created the St. Cloud Heritage Preservation Ordinance and has been instrumental in designation of the Southside Neighborhood Historic District in 1999 and Barden Park Historic District in 2003. SCH&NPA contributes $25 towards the cost of each Century Homes plaque to help reduce the plaque's cost for homeowners.
St. Cloud Area Association of Realtors - St. Cloud Historic Properties Seminar
Since 2003, SCAAR has partnered with the City of St. Cloud to offer the 'Historic Properties of St. Cloud' real estate seminar. This seminar is specifically designed for real estate professionals to heighten understanding of the importance of historic preservation in St. Cloud, the role of the St. Cloud HPC, the locations of the City's four local historic districts and St. Cloud's predominant historic residential architectural styles.