Becoming a Firefighter
Now Hiring! The application deadline is July 10, 2019.
- Completed a recognized Firefighter I and II course fulfilling the requirements of the Nation Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standard 1001 (Must attend in a class setting).
- Current IFSAC Firefighter II Certificate.
- Minnesota Emergency Medical Services Regulatory Board (EMSRB) certified Emergency Medical Responder (EMR), or higher.
- Valid Minnesota issued driver's license that is unrestricted except for corrective lenses, or able to attain one by appointment.
- Sample documents of minimum requirements.
How to Apply
- Fire Department Application. Failure to provide the data and documentation required in the supplemental application will result in rejection of the application. Please only include required documentation.
- Applications may be submitted by fax, email, in person or postmarked by the deadline date. Please refer to the top of the Firefighter application for detailed information.
I Submitted My Application. What Happens Next?
- After the deadline, applications will be scored by a panel consisting of fire personnel.
- Phase I of the applicant screening process will consist of an education and experience review. The candidates with the highest scores on that list shall proceed to Phase II. Phase II of the applicant screening process consists of a scored panel interview.
- All applicants will be notified on the status of their application after Phase I is completed. Please allow a few weeks after the deadline to be notified by Human Resources staff.
- Fire Department Brochure (PDF)
- MN Fire Certification Board
- Reciprocity Information
- Rejection Criteria
- When a job offer is extended, the candidate will need to successfully pass a psychological evaluation, a back assessment, physical, drug exam, a fitness evaluation, thorough background investigation and physical agility test.